Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Changes Through Time

“To get all there is out of living, we must employ our time wisely,
never being in too much of a hurry to stop and sip life,
but never losing our sense of the enormous value of a minute.
- Robert Updegraff

As a man who is only 26, I feel sometimes as though I have lived many lives before my own. Having experienced all that can be experienced, loved all, and lived as though I would never live again. I've often been called a middle aged man trapped in a young mans body. I find that be comforting and "a bit of a downer". It is nice to think beyond your years, but at the same time, we need to enjoy the time we have now and not worry. As I sit here with this middle age brain and think, one thing really worries me.

When I was younger I was enthralled with the prospect of true love and marriage. I had seen as a child the love between my parents and how much their union meant to them. While I don't doubt or worry about the state of love, I worry about the state of marriage or even togetherness in our times. My thoughts had always been find the one you love and be with that person till the day you die. I have since revised that statement, to just try and find the one your love. Amazingly, this new train of thought has nothing to do with anyone past or present in my life. But rather standing back and looking through an unclouded telescope at the world and it's creatures.

Times have changed but not for the better. Things once held to be sacred are not. All you seem to hear is the worst and never see the positive light. But it wasn't always like this. Our parents lived in this time of love and togetherness as their parents did before them. But I will admit the world was a kinder and more loving place.....once upon a time. We have de-evolved into a emotionless self centered void.

But as mankind has always shown, there is always a glimmer of hope. I still see it in my parents eyes and hear it in their words. I read about it on my cousins blog and wish that I, along with everyone, had that kind of family. Do I think these good old days will return for mankind? No. Do I hope that we will see what we've loss and attempt to relearn it? With all my heart yes.

Love ya guys.

"The world is a stage, but not everything has to be a farce."
- Josh Leadbetter

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Janna Leadbetter said...

Awesome blog, Josh. I couldn't agree more about how marriage has lost it's relevance for many, many people. And you may be right; there may be no turning back.

But I love your middle aged man's mind. You put way more thought and emotion into things than any guy I know in my personal life. I think it's a commodity, and you shouldn't lose sight of its place in your personality.

Aug 19, 2008, 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Josh!
Wow, I come by to say "come and check our my part II" and find this deep piece.
Yes...I guess you are right...you do really dig deep for someone with youth going for them.

I am glad you have seen true love at its best (with your parents) it is rare to hear of that anymore. So many times one hears of all that is wrong with marriage instead of holding it close to their hearts. It is seems so easy for some to dismiss marriage and the art of love. You hear it all the time in the news and movies. How 'oh well' I will move on to the next or something more dark and sinister transpires.

This was an awesome post and I for one like the way you provoke people to draw emotions out. It is a great talent you have.
Cheers!
Robyn

Aug 19, 2008, 7:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home