Friday, September 05, 2008

Beautiful Random Words

I'm watching Red Dwarf and Kryten is talking about the word Ambivalence. I've known the meaning but the word just sounds so beautiful. It got me thinking about it and other pretty words.

Ambivalence - a state of having emotions of both positive and negative valence or of having thoughts or actions in contradiction with each other, when they are related to the same object, idea or person (for example, feeling both love and hatred for someone or something).

Compassion - Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it.

Chupacabra - Purported creature resembling a gargoyle, said to exist in parts of Mexico and on Puerto Rico

Lemming - small rodents, usually found in or near the Arctic, in tundra biomes.

Xiphoid Process - The small cartilaginous extension to the lower part of the sternum which is usually ossified in the adult human.

Some words are just simply beautiful, roll of your tongue, and whether you know the definition, make you smile. I know there are more but these make me smile. How about you? :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Janna Leadbetter said...

It doesn't mean anything spectacular, but I love saying the word licenses. It's my favorite word. Licenses. It just flows so well.

Sep 5, 2008, 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Barrie said...

I didn't know a couple of your words!

Sep 5, 2008, 3:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Compassion" is one of my favorite words, too, because I think we need more of it in the world.

Sep 6, 2008, 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Chupacabre is one of my favorites.

Sep 6, 2008, 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger Janna Leadbetter said...

*guffaw* I just noticed the new blurb under your blog name. Love it!

Sep 6, 2008, 7:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home